Interview ３ Part 5 The Future of Print Media (Tyler Brule)
▶︎６月は Tyler Brule さんとのインタビュー。
– ジャーナリスト・起業家・雑誌 Moncole の編集長
▶︎And I’m Jenny Silver.
Welcome to Business English for Global Competence.
▶︎Yes, let’s learn how to communicate effectively
▶︎So let’s get started!
Words and Phrases
● correct me if I’m wrong ▶︎間違っているかもしれませんが
– When someone says, “correct me if I’m wrong,” they’re
saying “I believe I have the correct information. But please
tell me if it’s not.”
– The person is not entirely sure that what they’re about to
say is 100% accurate. And it can be used as way to make
a statement sound less assertive.
● vacuum ▶︎空白
– An empty space, an unused space that needs to be
filled. A state of isolation.
– In the interview Mr. Brule talked about there being
a vacuum left from big new organizations not reporting
in Japan. He feels those stores about Japan weren’t
● aside from the fact that 〜 ▶︎〜という事実は別にして
– In addition to a fact.
Mr. Brule says, “Aside from the face that I’m a huge Japan
fan.” This means that it is a fact that he is a fan of Japan.
– But that’s only supporting the more important point of
“we just felt there were a lot of Japanese stories that
weren’t being told.”
● cliche ▶︎陳腐な
– Something such as a phrase that is overused and
lacks originality, trite.
– Mr. Brule talks about the cliche stories or the same old
stories that are overreported about Japan time and time
again, usually about superficial pop cultural themes.
● degrade ▶︎品位を落とす
– To disrespect, to view someone or something as inferior
or lower status.
● take 〜 seriously ▶︎〜を真剣に見る
– To treat something or someone with respect or importance.
– For example, we need to take this project seriously.
The entire company is depending on us. So they need to
understand that the project is very important. Mr. Brule
talks about taking Japan seriously or giving it the
respect it deserves.
● go big on 〜 ▶︎〜を大きく取り上げる
– All in, to do something with broadness or bigger.
To go all out.
– There’s the saying “Go big or go home,” which means
that a person should devote themselves to working
as hard as possible, or nothing.
Interview 3 Part 5 は終了です。